03 July 2013

Day 3: A Film That Makes You Happy

Day 3 of the 31 Day Film Challenge: A film that makes you happy.

Whimsical and romantic, lovely and sweet, Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Amélie (2001) is one film that always makes me happy. The story of shy little Amélie who lives alone with just her fantastical thoughts until the discovery of a hidden treasure leads her to help others and find love along the way never fails to bring a smile to my face. Somehow things always feel better after a viewing.

I've written before about my introduction to the film. I had had a terrible week, culminating with my flat being broken into, when I received a call from the French Consulate in Boston inviting me to a special preview screening. The film completely changed my mood and removed the dark cloud that seemed to be hanging over my head. When I moved into a nicer flat later that summer I made a point of going and seeing Amelie at the Somerville Theatre my first nightthe perfect way to begin life in a new neighbourhood. Amélie, you'll always be my feel-good film.

For more about the 31 Day Film Challenge, visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...