21 July 2013

Day 21: A Film That Changed the Way You Saw the World



Day 21 of the 31 Day Film Challenge: The film that not only changed the way you saw cinema, but the way you saw the world.

Today's prompt is probably the toughest so far but the first film that comes to mind is Krzysztof Kieslowski’s Trois Couleurs: Bleu (1993), a film that had a visceral effect on me and remains one of the most important and influential films I have ever seen. 

Kieslowski, who I believe to be one of the greatest directors of the late 20th century, was a filmmaker who conveyed the human condition in a way few others have and who showed me what film could do. Often favouring imagery and music over dialogue, he was a director who believed a camera focused unwaveringly on a character's face could speak volumes more than any words. In his films, Kieslowski dealt with issues of life, death, spirituality in a way that may cause us to feel uncomfortable, emotional, but makes us think.

I first saw this film in the theatre, and I went in knowing nothing about it save that it was French and starred Juliette Binoche. I walked out afterwards in a daze, my mind racing. For days I thought about that film. There was something about Binoche's character, Julie, that I had reacted to, connected to, even though on the surface we had nothing in common. I was in the middle of making some major life decisions and somehow I feel like that film helped me. Did it change the way I saw the world? I think most definitely. Just don't ask me to describe how.

To find out more about the 31 Day Film Challenge, visit here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...