16 November 2011

California Dreaming


Last week I was in California for a long overdue visit. I spent the time hanging out with my family (including all of my little nephews; good thing I can speak Star Wars), seeing old friends (including one who I've known since middle school French class; we had a wonderful dinner at À Côté in Oakland), enjoying great local food (Crab Louie salad, sourdough bread, tacos), doing some shopping, and taking in favourite sites.

One day I visited the San Francisco National Cemetery at the Presidio—the former army base where I spent a lot of time during my childhood. The cemetery, which is the final resting place for more than 30,000 military personnel and their families, is a beautiful secluded spot with amazing views of the bay.

A trip to California isn't complete without a visit to the water so I made sure to find the time to go out to Baker Beach and Ocean Beach before I left. I got a thrill watching the waves and seeing the ruins of the Sutro Baths, which I caught right at sunset. Although I've seen those sites countless times, they were a perfect ending to a lovely visit.

Photos by Michele.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...