22 August 2011

Happy Birthday Mrs. Parker

Today is Dorothy Parker's birthday. Last year, I wrote about her life. The woman who has had a huge influence on me did not write loads of poems that necessarily lend themselves to festive occasions so here is one of my favourites of hers that is short and true, just like the woman herself. 

                                          Observation
                            If I don’t drive around the park,
                            I’m pretty sure to make my mark.
                            If I’m in bed each night by ten,
                            I may get back my looks again,
                            If I abstain from fun and such,
                            I'll probably amount to much,
                            But I shall stay the way I am,
                            Because I do not give a damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...